Saturday, November 13, 2010

Ringing Rings

Spoiler Alert : Recommended only for people who have heard about the topic concerned, viz. The Lord of the Rings.


If there is one story I would love to tell my grandchildren over a camp fire, it would be The Lord of the Rings. I am simply mesmerized each time I come across those five words in unison, and every time I forge the story over and over in my head, every detail, every scene, every character. Now I know in the "Age of Hogwarts", there is but, little space for Middle Earth, and it is in this space that I find myself, separate from the Potter fanatics and quite distinguished from the rest. Its not just the movies, but the books, the maps, the prologue, the after words of J.R.R. Tolkien that takes me on this fantasy journey across the Shire, over the Misty Mountains, wading across the Auduin and onto the battle-plains near Mordor. Frodo is the first person along with Sam who come in my mind, bearing the luggage of a heavy task of destroying the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom. Gandalf with his re-avatar in pure, flowing white, and along with other brave warriors stand up against the most fearful Dark Lord Sauron, in hope that one hobbit would do his assigned task and put and end to this war.

Why the fascination? Well lets just peep into the mind of the master himself. When Tolkien came up with this idea, it all revolved around one thing and one thing only, a golden inscribed ring. The characters followed simultaneously, in a singular channel of ideas, but that one ring became a legend in itself. It was not only desired by all beings in the story. but I am sure many of us in the real world would have turned Gollum for it. Such is its awe, unlike any other fictional object. Even Dan Brown's Holy Grail or J.K. Rowling's Deathly Hallows or perhaps even Herman Melville's Mody Dick [no pun intended] enticed us so much. I am sure it would have lured even the greatest of mythological and fictional antagonists and protagonists; after all who could say no to ultimate power, the power to command every living being, the minds of men. No one could deny it. So it is perfectly logical that the Ring has grasped me along with it. The more I think over it, the more I want to have it. Call me mad, or a freak, but you should know better what it is like to have a want, an insatiable one too. No I am no psychopath and don't intend to be. But what it gives me is creativity and imagination which I might have lost in my day-to-day activities. At least I know now that Frodo and Gollum would still be fighting over the ring on Mountain of Fire, and that no matter what happens the ring will always be immortal in the pages of eternity. My mind is ringing with music, deep dark music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings

No comments:

Post a Comment